Architectural History and Theories
Research field focused on:
1) The Production and Consumption of Chinese Contemporary Architecture
2) Contemporary Architecture in Consumer Culture
3) Chinese Contemporary Architects and Their Regional Practices
4) History of Shanghai Modern Architecture
5) Vitality of Public Space for Community Complex
Grants and Awards:
1) Host “Research on Factors Influencing the Vitality of Public Space in Community Complex” Supported by NSFC , No. 51208359,Jan 2013/- Dec 2015
2) Host “ The 60 years history of Architectural Design and Research Institute of Tongji University” Supported by Architectural Design and Research Institute of Tongji University, November 2016-November 2018
3) Participate in“Research on the Protection of Shanghai Historical Buildings and Districts in Modern Time”No.51478317by NSFC, Jan.2015-Dec. 2018
4) Participate in“A Study on the Origin, Development, Typology and Contemporary Re-use Strategy of Entertainment Architecture from the View of Urban Anthropology: Taking Shanghai as an Example” by NSFC , No. 51308394 Jan 2014/- Dec 2016
5) Participate in “Research on Modernization of the Future Development of Architecture and Urban Planning Disciplines and China's City and Architecture” ,2012-2014, supported by Chinese Academy of Science
6) Participate in “Architectural History and Theory National Teaching Team Building” 2009-2012, supported by Chinese Ministry of Education and Ministry of Finance
7) Participate in “Research on Urban Integrated Activity Zone in Post- expo Era”(Gtz2010010, 2010-2012) Supported by Shanghai Urban Planning Administration Bureau
8) Participate in “Technical Guidelines for Eco-towns” (08DZ1205700，2009-2010) Supported by Shanghai Science and Technology Commission
9) Participate in “Constructing Cultural City: Comparative Research between Shanghai and Hongkong” 2012-2014 (Co-operated with Dr. Wang Jun from Hongkong Baptist University)
10) Participate in “Research on Key Technology of Intensive Use of Rural Space” 2012-2014, supported by Tongji University
11) Participate in “Anthropological Study of Modern Shanghai Urban Space and Cultural Identity Changes Based on Analysis of Urban historicalImages” 2012-2014, supported by Tongji University
12) Tongji University, Teaching reform Program: “The Methodology of Academic Literature Reading and Writing in English for Junior Architectural Students” (2015/8-2016/12)
1) LIU Jiawei, HUA Xiahong, LI Ying. “A Study on the Activity Inclusion of Central Square Spaces in Community Complexes” won Excellent Paper Award in 12th International Symposium on Environment-Behavior Research (2016/10)
2) 2013 Instructor for 2nd Prize and 3rd Prize Best Design, 7th Building Festival, CAUP, Tongji University
3) 2012 Best Teaching Award, CAUP, Tongji University
4) 2010 Instructor for 2nd Prize Best Design, Post-EXPO Development in Urban Best Practices Area (UBPA) of Shanghai EXPO 2010
5) 2009 Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award from Shanghai Education Committee and Shanghai Academic Degree Committee
Course for Undergraduates:
1 Architectural Design ( for 1st and 2nd year)
2 Building in Texts: Academic Reading and Writing (in English, Tongji-UNSW Dual Bachelor Degree in Architecture, 1st and 2nd year)
3 Design Reading Guide and Forum(for 1st and 2nd year)
Course for Graduates:
1Theories of Architectural and Urban Space (with Prof. ZHENG Shiling, Prof. SHA Yongjie)
2 An Introductory course on Studies of Modern Chinese Architecture: Paradigms and Themes (in English, with WANG Kai)
Books or Chapters in Books:
1) HUA Xiahong, Michelle Qiao, Kató Siegfried, Boglarká Lukács.Shanghai Hudec Architecture. Tongji University Press, 2013
2) Luca Poncellini & Júlia Csejdy, László Hudec (Chinese Version),translated by HUA Xiahong & Michelle Qiao. Tongji University Press, 2013
3) Shanghai Urban Planning Design and Research Institute/Shanghai Xiandai Architectural Design Group/ College of Architecture and Urban Planning of Tongji University, The Green House. Tongji University Press, 2014.
4) Shanghai Urban Planning Bureau & Shanghai Urban Construction Archives eds. Hudec’s Architecture in Shanghai. Shanghai Popular Science Press,2008 (Chinese Text mainly By Hua Xiahong)
5) Lai Delin, Wu Jiang, Xu Subin. eds. History of Chinese Modern Architecture [M]. Beijing: China Architecture and Building Press, 2016. ( HUA Xiahong, The Pioneer of New Style: L.E.Hudec)
6) Dan Cruickshank Butterworth eds, Sir Banister Fletcher’s A History of Architecture( 20 Edition, Chinese Version), Edited and translated by Zheng Shiling, Zhi Wen Jun, Lu Yongyi, Li Dehua, Wu Jiliang, Guo, Daiheng, Wu Guangzu, Zou Denong etc. Intellectual Property Press, 2010 ( translated 4 Chapters)
7) Zheng Shiling & Angelo Bugatti, Changing Shanghai: From Expo’s after Use to New Green Towns,Roma: Officina edizioni,2011 （edited 1 chapter with Wang Kai）
8) HUA Xiahong, HAN Tao. “Case Study 02: Beijing798 3.0 Art Space” in ZHENG Shiling, Angelo Bugatti, Regeneration & Re-use in China: Transforming the Existing. Santarcangelo di Romagna: Maggioli S.p.A, 2015: 049-062.
9) Zheng Shiling eds. Tell Me Why( Architecture and Transportation, 6thEdition). Children’s Publishing House,2013 (text for 12 columns)
10) The Editor Committee, Hudec’s House: The Past and Present of No. 129 Panyu Road [M]. Shanghai Far East Publishing House, 2015.
Articles in Journals
1) Xiahong Hua, Quotation and the Construction of Chinese Architectural Identity, Perspecta 49 The Yale Architectural Journal, Boston: The MIT Press, 2016:216-227.
2) “Consumption Dreams and Architectural Carnival in China since 1992” in Time Architecture, 2010（1）：124-128
3) “Symbolic Consumption of Starchitect” in The Architect, 2010（6）：122-130
4) “Architecture as Mass Media Unveiling the Architectural Values and Practical Strategies of 1970s-Born Chinese Architects through 5 Media Popular Projects” in Time Architecture, 2013(4):32-35
5) “The Global Expansion of Architectural Spaces in the Context of Consumer Culture” in Tian Weifeng, Li hexing eds. Urban Culture and Education: Proceedings of Postgraduate Academic Forum of Shanghai, 2006, Xuelin Press 2006:148-158
6) “A Functional Practice in a Classical Disguise Re-reading the Country Hospital, Shanghai,Designed by L.E.Hudec” in Time Architecture, 2012(1): 162-167
7) “Aga-khan Award for Architecture and the Contemporary Architecture in Islamic World” in Architectural Journal, 2005(1): 78-81 (co-authored with Hua Xinruo)
8) "’Tongji Style’:On Four Projects Designed By Tongji's Architects Between 1950s and 1980s" in Time Architecture, 2004(6): 52-59
9) “Design of Shuangding Road Kindergarten, Jiading New City, Shanghai” in Architectural Journal, 2014(1): 71-72 (co-authored with Zhuang Shen)
10) “On Façade Renovation” in Time Architecture 2016(4):24-28 (co-authored with Zhuang Shen)
11) “Hanging Courtyard: The Design Strategy for Blocks B4/B5 of Shanghai Culture & Communication Industry District” in Time Architecture, 2011（3）：106-113
12) “Addition” in New Architecture,2012(2): 66-71 (co-authored with Zhuang Shen)
13) “The Sino-Germany College Building in Tongji University” in Time Architecture, 2003(5): 112-117
14) “The Grand Theater and its Architect L.E Hudec” in Journal of Tongji University (Social Science Section) 2000(1, Supplement):81-83
15) “Standing between the Individual and the Public” in The Architect, 2012（6）：43-51 (co-authored with Zhuang Shen)
16) “Change is More: Atelier Archimixing’s Practices” in The Architect, 2014(1): 131-137 (co-authored with Zhuang Shen)
17) “5 Proposals for the Block West to Qiuxia Garden,Jiading District” in Time Architecture, 2012(1): 48-51 (co-authored with Zhuang Shen)
18) “A Review of Incomplete Urbanism: A Critical Urban Strategy for Emerging Economies” in Time Architecture, 2012(6): 170
19) “Annual Highlights of Building China 2010, Academic Review” in Time Architecture 2011(2):16
20) “Annual Highlights of Building China 2009, Academic Review” in Time Architecture 2011(1):18
21) “Inspiring, Thinking, Debating, Teaching the Design Reading Guide for Professional Beginners” in National Supervision Board of Architectural Education, China & Fuzhou University eds, Proceedings of 2012 National Conference on Architectural Education, China Architecture and Building Press, 2012
22) “International Course Combining Knowledge Transfer and Academic training in Multiple Double-degree Programs: Reflection on the Teaching Scheme of An Introductory Course on Studies of Modern Chinese Architecture”in CHEN Yiyi eds. Teaching Non-English-Oriented Courses with English and Bilingual Instruction: Practice and Research at Tongji University, in Tongji University Press, 2013:233-238 (Co-authored with Wang Kai)
23) “A Functional Practice in a Classical Disguise Re-reading the Country Hospital,Shanghai, Designed by L.E.Hudec” in Architecture College of Tianjin University eds, Proceedings of International Symposium on Teaching and Researching of Architectural History 2011
24) ZHUANG Shen, HUA Xiahong. An Altitude of Unrecognizable System: The Architectural World of Geoffrey Bawa [J]. Architectural Journal 2014(11): 27-35.
25) ZHUANG Shen, HUA Xiahong. Everyday, Change, Unrecognizable System [J]. New Architecture 2014 (06):16-19.
26) ZHUANG Shen, HUA Xiahong. Spatial Redundancy [J]. Time Architecture 2015(5): 108-111.
27) ZHUANG Shen, HUA Xiahong. Work Within the City [J]. Time Architecture 2015(5): 100-107.
28) ZHUANG Shen, HUA Xiahong. From the Ordinary to the Ordinary: Replacement and Renovation of Baoshan Chen Huacheng Memorial [J]. Architectural Journal 2015(12): 48-53.
29) ZHUANG Shen, HUA Xiahong. Application as Action and Cognition [J]. New Architecture 2016(02):10-16.
30) HUA Xiahong. Building City through Consumption: A Review of Urban Consumption Space [J]. Time Architecture 2015(3):137.
31) HUA Xiahong, LI Ying, LIU Jiawei. “A Study on Attraction Factors of Public Open Space on Family Consumers in Community Complex “[C]. in ZHU Xiaolei, XU Leiqing, LU Wei eds. Ecological and Wisdom: Towards a Healthy Urban and Rural Environment: Proceedings of the 11th symposium on Environmental-Behavior studies[C], Guangzhou: South China University of Technology Press: 2014:1229-1240.
LIU Jiawei, HUA Xiahong, LI Ying. “A Study on the Activity Inclusion of Central Square Spaces in Community Complexes” [C]. in LIU Zhi, XU Leiqing and LU Wei eds, The Rejuvenation and Regeneration of Built Environment: Proceedings of the 12th symposium on Environmental-Behavior studies, Chongqing: Chongqing University Press, 2016：1069-1071. （corresponding author）