History, theory and criticism of Architecture
LI Xiangning is a member of CICA (Comité International des Critiques d'Architecture), and has published widely on contemporary Chinese architecture and urbanism in international architectural magazines including Architectural Review, A+U, Architectural Record, Arquitectura Viva, Space, Domus, and Volume.
He was a visiting scholar at MIT, teaching a course in the year of 2006 and also a Visiting Professor in Architecture at Harvard GSD. He is co-curator of 2011 Chendu Biennale, 2011 Shenzhen Biennale, academic director and curator of 2013 Shenzhen/Hong Kong Bi-city Biennale, curator of Shanghai Westbund 2013 Biennale, and curator for 2015 Shanghai Urban Space Art Season. He has been working with international museums and institutes, including Milan Triennale and Goethe Institute, curating exhibitions on Chinese architecture. He has been a jury member to many international awards and competitions including Spanish International Architectural Award, Holcim Award for Sustainable Construction, and Mies van der Rohe Award the European Union Prize for Contemporary Architecture. He also serves as advisory board member of Confluence Institute for Innovation and Creative Strategies in Architecture, and editorial board member of magazines including Plan and Le Visiteur (Journal of Société Française des Architectes).
1. Western architectural history
2. Western art history
3. Analysis on the theories and works of contemporary architects
4.Contemporary architecture and city in China
5. Lectures on Frontiers of Architecture: Craft
6. Contemporary Architecture and Urbanism in China: Discourse and Practices
Grants and Awards:
1. Research on System Establishment, Expo Model, Information Storage and Reproduction Technology of the Architecture Museum in China. Supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China. 2011.01--2013.12
2. Scientific research innovation project of Shanghai Education Committee: Research on the interactive mechanism of contemporary Chinese building curation and criticism. 2009.12--2011.12
3. Research program "The future of the city" from MAK architecture center. LA. US: Comparative studies on themable space between Los Angeles and Shanghai suburban areas. Supported by Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States
4.Curation and criticism of contemporary Chinese Architecture . Supported by Outstanding young teachers` research funding of Tongji University 2007.11--2009.11
5.Case study on contemporary western urban theory and Shanghai urban culture. Supported by Engineering development funding of Tongji University.2004.11--2006.11
1. The Real and the Imagined: A Study of Value in Contemporary Urban Theory（2009）
2. Updating China: Projects for a Sustainable Future（2010）
3. Made in Shanghai (2014) and Total China (Actar, forthcoming 2017).
4. Contemporary Green Buildings in China, DOM publishers,(2011)
5. Total China, Barcelona: Actar(2015)