CONSULTING, BOARD MEMBERSHIP, AND FULL-TIME INDUSTRY EMPLOYMENT
–Chairman, Finnish Society for Science and Technology Studies, http://www.fssts.fi , 2008-2011
–Associate Principal, Jaakko Pöyry Consulting, www.poyry.fi , full-time in business for two years, 2002-2004 –Member of Board, Pohjoisranta Communications and PR agency, http://www.pohjoisranta.fi, 2001-2004 –Member of Board, Finnish Association for Business Administration, www. yhdistys.com/in-english, 2000-2002 –Research Advisory Board member, Design Management Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, www.dmi.org, 1999-- –Scientific Committee member, European Academy of Design, http://www.artdes.salford.ac.uk/ead, 1999-present –Managing Director, Mesei Ky (Antti Ainamo Consulting), 1989-2012
–Investors Relations, Amer Sports, full-time in business for a year, 1988-9, www.amersports.com –Summer Trainee, Scandinavian Bank PLC, London, 1985-1986.
–Business manager, Torpan Pojat Basketballclub, 1986 national champions, 1985-1986.
RECENT CONSULTING AND RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Fluid Business Models in Creative and Cultural Ecosystems (FLUID), senior researcher in Tekes project building on Design Ecosystem (see below), FLUID is a project at Dept of Management and International Business, at the International Design Business Management (IDBM) programme, Aalto School of Economics, 2012-14 (direct Tekes funding EUR 350 000,-).
- Design Ecosystem, responsible research leader to develop new research of creative and cultural ecosystems, Wihuri foundation. 2011-2012. (EUR 25 000,- )
- Application developers in the heart of the Nokia ecosystem (HEART), consultant in a joint strategic project with Nokia Strategy and Forum Nokia www.nokia.com, ETH-Zürich www.ethz.ch and MIT www.mit.edu , as well as Tekes (“yrityshanke” or business-practice project, a pilot for a research project) www.tekes.fi , 2010-11. (EUR 25 000,- )
- Born Globals in Finnish Rock Exports (Bogfires), Professor and research director, with Aalto University IDBM programme, funded by the Academy of Finland, http://bogfires.blogspot.com, 2009-2012. (direct Academy of Finland funding EUR 350 000,-).
- European Research Area Network with Africa (ERAfrica), Professor and research director responsible for “information review & analysis”, Work Package 1 (of 5), with Ministry of Employment and Industry (TEM), Jyväskylä U., as well as researchers/participants mapping science and technology policies across 12 countries in the African Union and European Union, funded by the European Commission, www.erafrica.edu, 2010-2011. (direct European Commission funding EUR 950 000,-, with Finnish share 98 000,-).
- Kulma Oy http://www.kulma.com (part of the Logonet Group), consultant in “Internationalization strategy”, a joint strategic project with Tekes (“Tekes yrityshanke”), 2009-2011. (EUR 25 000,- )
- Media2, Professor and research director responsible for “sociological game theory”, with Helsinki University and Aalto University, funded by Sanoma foundation http://www.hssaatio.fi/en/ , 2011-2012. (Funding granted by the Sanoma Foundation EUR 44 500,- and returned to the Sanoma Foundation by University of Turku Financial and Administrative Head)
- Digital Reputation (DiRE), Professor and research director responsible for “service business”, with Helsinki University and Aalto University, with Nokia, Nordea, Pohjoisranta, Sensitiva, Talentum, and Wärtsilä, funded by Tekes, http://reputationproject.wordpress.com , 2010-2011. (direct Tekes funding EUR 45 000,-).
- Nordic Virtual Worlds Network (NVWN), Professor and research director responsible for “innovation”, Work Package 2 (of 5). NVWN is done in cohort with Stockholm School of Economics, Uppsala University, Agder University, and Roskilde University, studying innovation and entrepreneurship in the emerging 3D Internet , funded by Nordic Innovation Center / Nordic Council http://www.nordicworlds.net , 2010-2011. (direct Nordic Council funding EUR 45 000,-).
- Northern Cape Premier’s Office, International Reviewer in “INSPIRE – Provincial Information Society Strategy Programme in the Republic of South Africa”, http://economic.ncape.gov.za/inspire , 2010. (direct Premier’s Office funding EUR 15 000,-).
- Nokia Siemens Networks http://www.nokiasiemensnetworks.com , consultant in “Design strategy”, 2006-2007. (EUR 8 000,-).
- Global Project Strategies of Finnish Firms http://gps.stanford.edu , (Tekes EUR 955 000,- and Academy of Finland EUR 258 000, those at Stanford University having with matching funding from the U.S.).
CURRENT ACADEMIC POSITIONS
– Adjunct Professor / Senior researcher, Industrial and Strategic Design, Dept. of Design / Infrastructures,
Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture
– Guest Professor (“Extreme environments – everyday decisions”), Umeå School of Business, 2011-
– Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Management and International Business, Aalto University School of Business, email@example.com
– Research Director, Born Globals in Finnish Rock Exports (BOGFIRES), Aalto University School of Economics, 2009-2013, (Academy of Finland)
-- Senior researcher, Fluid Business Models in Creative and Cultural Ecosystems, with funding for 2 months of research (Tekes).
EARLIER ACADEMIC POSITIONS
– Visiting scholar, Stanford University Hopkins MS for studies in ecology & evolution www-
marine.stanford.edu , 2007
– Academic visitor (Designing for Services in Science-based Industries, Innovation Journalism),
University of Oxford Saïd Business School, http://www.designingforservices.typepad.co.uk, 2006-2007
– Professor, Sociology (Innovation, technology, and science policy), Chair of Institutions and Social Mechanisms (IASM) programme, U. of Turku, 2006–2011,http://ww.utu.fi
– Member, Innovation Journalism research group, Stanford Center for Innovation and Learning,
www.innovationjournalism.org, 2006– present
– Visiting scholar, Stanford University Collaboratory for Research on Global Projects, http://gps .stanford.edu and Scandinavian Consortium for Organizational Research, http://www.scancor.org , with Tekes, Academy of Finland, Nokia, FosterWheeler & ActiveInspire, 2005-2006
– Professor, University of Tampere School of Business Administration, http://www.uta.fi , 2000—2002.
– Visiting researcher, London Business School Centre for Design Management/ Center for Operations
Management, http://www.lbs.ac.uk , 1994-96
– Courses on global projects and design projects, Stanford University, http://www.stanford.edu , 2006.
– Postdoctoral researcher, SCANCOR, Stanford University, 1998
– Ph.D., Helsinki School of Economics (HSE, now Aalto), Management, http://www.aalto.fi , 1993-96
– Courses on design/ technology management, London Business School, http://www.lbs.ac.uk 1994
– Lic.(Econ.), HSE International Business, http://www.aalto.fi , 1988-1993; Courses on design history, furniture design, etc., U. of Art and Design Helsinki (now part of Aalto), 1991;
– M.Sc.(Econ.), HSE Marketing, 1983-1988.
ADDITIONAL PEDAGOGICAL EDUCATION
–Aalto cross-cultural pedagogy course, jointly organized by Aalto University and Tongji University (Shanghai) –Aalto Pedagogical Coaching programme, Aalto University, 2012
–ME310 Cultural-coach pedagogy program, Center for Design Research, Stanford University, 2005-6 –OMT Junior and New Faculty Consortium Pedagogical education: Academy of Management, 2004 –Advanced course on facilitation, Finnish Facilitator’s Association (Fafa) 2003
–Introduction to facilitation, Finnish Facilitator’s Association (Fafa) 2003
–Double-team method, Innotiimi Oy / Helsinki School of Economics Org & Management, 1997
–Speaker’s rhetoric course, Aalto Univ.y School of Economics, Business communication / Philosophy, 1984
Assessed competent for professorship:
– Design Integration (assessed by the committee too competent for the tenure-track position, Aalto ARTS) -- Strategy, 2012 (Hanken)
– Strategy, 2011 (2-year position, Aalto School of Engineering)
– Management , 2011 (guest professorship, Umeå University Umeå School of Business, 2011-12)
– Communication Studies, 2010 (3rd place, University of Tampere)
– Communications, University of Tampere 2009
– Marketing, 2008 (placed 1st by international reviewers, Hanken Swedish School of Economics)
- Organisations and Management, Aalto U. School of Economics 2006, Turku U. School of Economics 2007)
– International Business 2007 (assessed competent, Aalto University School of Economics)
– Organisations and Management, 2006 (assessed competent, Aalto University School of Economics)
– Strategic Management, 2006 (assessed shared 2nd place, Turku University Turku School of Economics).
– Sociology, 2005, 2009 (assessed 2nd in 2005, invited in 2009, University of Turku School of Social Sciences)
High cited articles and academic recognition:
– Laaksonen, Ainamo & Karjalainen won the best paper award in Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, 2012.
– Ainamo, Karjalainen & Laaksonen 2007 application to the Academy of Finland Board of Culture and the
Economy was first one of all applications chosen for funding from 2009 to 2012.
–Ainamo 2000 “How aspiring young academics succeed while keep their principles” was one of three finalists for the Carolyn Dexter Best International Paper Award.
–Djelic & Ainamo 1999 in Organization Science is a highly cited article.
–Fynes & Ainamo won the best paper award for Supply Chain Management in 1998.
ASSESSMENTS, AWARDS, LEARNING OUTCOMES & OTHER ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS OF TEACHING COMPETENCE
Evidence of teaching excellence:
– Successful negotiation of Rovio-IDBM project, Aalto University’s first student project with Rovio Entertainment, 2011-2
-- Design of Joint IDBM Master’s Thesis Workshop, to be organized across Aalto’s six campuses in Otaniemi, Töölö, and Arabia, November, 2012.
– Designed, at request of Aalto University IDBM Programme Director, course “Master Class in IDBM”
– Director of Institutions and Social Mechanisms (IASM) International Master’s programme, which through 2006 to 2011 had the most graduated students of all University of Turku international Master’s programmes in terms of number and relative to intake of students. IASM also had the largest number of external funders, the most external funding, and the largest research output , of all the international master’s programmes,
across all the faculties at the University of Turku, by 2010, when compared with other international master’s programmes from 2009 through to 2011, or across the years 2006 to 2011.
– Management consulting (“Liikkeenjohdon konsultoint”) course, most popular course at Aalto School of Economics 2000 to 2006 (and was voted best business-school course in Finland in 2007).
– Organization theories doctoral course, 2004, teaching assessed excellent by students, clearing the serious backlog of doctoral studies in this doctoral-teaching area at the Helsinki School of Economics.
Visiting lectures at Doctoral and/or Master’s level include:
–Sibelius Academy (M.A. in Arts Management), 2012.
– Aalto University (Dept. of Architecture) 2012) –Stanford University (Palo Alto, CA) 2006, 2005, 1998 –ESSEC (Paris), 2004
–IB 2002 (Oslo) –Bocconi (Milan), 2001